Re: Custom Icon

Sam:

new St.Icon({ icon_name: 'notes-icon' ......

You are creating the icon by name.  St.Icon does not know your
icon by name since it is not in "/usr/share/icons/gnome/.....".

You should create a gicon when you provide the image file.

Do it "something" like this:
============================

As needed....
const Gio = imports.gi.Gio;
const Me = ExtensionUtils.getCurrentExtension();
const YourIconPath = Me.path + '/notes-icon.svg';

let x = new St.Icon({gicon: Gio.icon_new_for_string(YourIconPath)});

I am sure you know this but just to be safe, if you provide an image
file with your extension be sure that it is either public domain or is
covered under a license compatible with the GNU General Public License.
The Open Icon Library is a good place for safe images.  Each image is
identified with it's licensing.

Happy New Year,
Norman