Re: What is the recommended distro?

Helio, why not try different flavours and see what suits you?

I had Ubuntu running on my laptop when I started working on the
documentation... I was aware that getting GNOME 3.0 running was a
problem, so I started using the official live disk which happened to be
openSUSE. Soon I installed it on my hard drive and still do most of my
work there. Based on the blog post of a release team member I decided to
dual boot Mageia, and for a while, it was getting GNOME packages as soon
as tarballs were released. I installed Fedora on my desktop machine. In
all cases I'm running the development version: openSUSE Factory, Mageia
Cauldron, Fedora Rawhide. If something breaks on one, at least one of
the others still works.

After many years of using Debian and Ubuntu, the subtleties of zypper,
urpmi and yum still seem a bit foreign, but as Tim mentioned, the gnome3
ppa will get you close to a 3.8 experience on Ubuntu: it's something I'm
toying with on my Nexus 7 (armhf). I've also been loading Debian (along
with all the others) into Boxes, and have the armel port installed on my
phone; Hashem mentioned that he's helping keep its build dependencies up
to date.

Mike