trouble with deleting items in the menu

hi,

My extension extends a PanelMenu.SystemStatusButton. I have a list of Items which I add to the menu using this.menu.addMenuItem(), where each item is a PopupMenu.PopupBaseMenuItem()  and i delete an item using the destroy() method on the PopupBasemenuItem. The list is dynamic and keeps on updating itself (items are added and destroyed periodically).

When my cursor is not on the list, the list updates itself nicely, without closing the menu. But if my cursor hovers over a menuitem, and the list updates (one of the element is destroyed) the menu closes.
its a bit annoying sometimes that the menu closes abruptly , when you are busy going through the menu items.

Is there a way to delete the menu item which does not close the menu?

Cheers,
Alok.