Evolution does not display new mail indicator when closed?

If this hasn't been integrated yet I understand, but it seems pretty
pointless to have to keep Evolution running by not clicking X, to
receive a pop-up at the tray telling me I have mail. If I want to keep
it running I can just check in every so often, as I will always end up
noticing it's running when switching an app.

I can see where sometimes it makes sense, but is it at all possible to
not have Evolution running and still get the indicator?