Re: To GTK and Gnome Shell Theme authors

Hello!

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 14:55 +0200, alex diavatis wrote:

> I am building a page for allowing people to download and install
> themes directly from their browser. All they have to do is to install
> a browser plugin.
> You can watch an old demo [1]

Very cool.

Will you have some means to verify the themes - there is no shortage of
broken third-party themes.  I do not know enough about themes to know if
there is some way to verify their structure [such as for missing
components] in an automated fashion.

The only way to verify a theme quality is by having a
<Is that working for you? Yes / No> bind to theme version and a general rating system. But this requires a user registration that I will add later.
The alternative is just to add a disqus comment.

> I am not willing to make an upload service for Theme Authors at least
> in beginning, and we will upload and update just the most popular
> themes.
> This service could also work with Icon sets but I doubt I could deal
> with the bandwidth cost there. Also I am planning to support only
> Gnome Theming.
> So the question is if I have your permission to upload your themes and
> somehow support the service cost, with donations, flatrr or ads. I
> don't know if
> I am allowed to run a "commercial" service in GPL or CC (or whatever
> else free license) software without authors permission.

I can't imagine a problem, if the theme is GPL, then you are OK.  Since
the theme is the source of the theme the only requirement of the GPL is
immediately met.

There is *zero* issue with providing GPL code via a commercial service.
CC depends on which CC I suppose.

If there isn't an issue here, please consider this thread closed!

> I hope I will launch a beta alongside with Fedora 18 release ..just
> because I like Fedora.
> About the plugin: I did a NPAPI plugin to make it easy to access
> system and to work with any browser.

If it works in Firefox then I'm happy.
Of course it will!

Thank you