Re: gnome-tweak-tool fails to install extension from zip with UnicodeDecodeError

Ok, I have narrowed this down further.

I believe there *is* a bug in gnome-tweak-tool
(tweak_shell_extensions.py) to do with installing an extension from a
.zip file. The error is being raised from Python:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell_extensions.py",
> line 115, in _on_file_set
>   verb = _("%s extension updated successfully") % extension_uuid
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 4
> ordinal not in range(128)

I cannot reproduce this myself because my locale is 'en_AU.utf8' and I
am having trouble changing it, but the person trying to install my
extension that I am corresponding this can reproduce by
1) install an extension from e.g.o (this works fine);
2) zip it up
3) uninstall it (remove key with dconf-editor, remove directory,
restart gnome-shell)
3) try to install it from a zip file: the UnicodeDecodeError.

Their locale is pl_PL.utf8. (It could be something to do with their
particular settings as opposed to a bug, too).

Extensions *can* be installed from e.g.o & manually via putting the
folder in .local/share/gnome-shell/extensions & modifying
dconf-editor.

(My particular extension was not working via this method because it
had an additional error, a missing dependency).

I'm not sure how to go about further "debugging" this (if it is in
fact a bug) as I am unable to reproduce, but I did find various bug
reports [1] that suggest it can be solved via `export LANG=en.UTF-8`.

My guess is it is something to do with the gettext/translations/locale
(I don't know enough to narrow it down further, but I thought I'd
clarify my previous email).

cheers.
[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/813917