Re: Standardization of Function Keys

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 09:14 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Trans <transfire gmail com> wrote:
> > A long time ago I used an early DOS-based application, I believe it
> > was a spreadsheet, but I do not recall the exact program at this
> > point. However I do recollect the interface which I thought was
> > especially intuitive. Running along the bottom of the screen was a
> > menu, and each menu item could be selected via a function key. F1 for
> > the first menu item, F2 for the next, and so on. Pressing a function
> > key might bring up a sub-menu, and the same correspondence applied to
> > the sub-menu.

This is actually very *non-standard* use of function keys.

And applications use function keys - so they are bound to the window
with focus not the window manager.

But Alt-F1 or Meta will change GNOME3 to overview mode.  From there you
can keywords search and use arrow keys for navigation.

For example - for me - Alt-F1, g, e, down-error, enter
This starts the application geany.  Awesome, efficient, and very fast.

There are standardized function key behaviors, off the top of my head:
F1 - is help
F5 - is refresh
F11 - is full-screen

But you can bind custom hot keys to start applications.  For example I
have Ctrl-Alt-T set to start a new gnome-terminal.

> > So, why do I think this would be advantageous?

No, not over how application search works currently.

> > Firstly, function keys are almost never utilized for application
> > functions any more.

Eh??? This is completely false.