Re: Query about Future Gnome-shell

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 20:45 +0800, Symon Cadwalader wrote:
> I see alot of other good working coming out of the gnome camp

+1  GNOME3 is fantastic and constantly getting better.

> I just fear that gnome-shell is forever planned to be highly
> unconfigurable/tweakable without knowledge of the css config file and
> 3rd party extensions which are hit or miss....

I disagree with the premise.  It is configurable / tweakable - just by
different means than previously [and more flexible means; you don't need
to write C!].  The extension system has already been proven to be
amazingly powerful and extensions are trivial to deploy [via Firefox!
Do that with an applett...].   I think tweakers always overestimate the
need to tweak, most users don't and won't and don't want to tweak - they
want to "do stuff".  For tweakers there is tweak-tool.

Aside: I'm puzzled by the passion about application launch methods.  Who
spends that much time *launching* applications?  That is about the first
four minutes of my day - then the applications are launched.  If I
select a document from Nautilus, GAJ, or the Journal extension the
appropriate application is started for me.  A few keystrokes in a GNOME
Terminal gets me a new GNOME Terminal.  If a user is closing and
launching applications all day then their workflow is borked - they
should stop doing that!  Just open them and use them.