Re: Overview animation

Le 01. 07. 12 08:01, Sriram Ramkrishna a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Alexandre Kaspar <alexandre kaspar epfl ch

Hi,

I've been with Gnome-Shell since it's early time before 3.0, but am now
using it
daily on Fedora 17 (and previously 16), and I start to find the overall
thing a bit painful to use,
mostly because of one flaw which is the animation when going from the
default
view to the overview, which I use a lot for search (and application
startup).

I find the zoom out/in animation just painful to see every time.
It takes time, it's not always smooth, and I just don't want to look at it.
It seems like a waste of my time, plus some more energy to focus on what
is where
and why it's going to where it goes.

Why not use something like gnome-do?  That would give you something
approximate without having to use the animation.  You could probably find
an extension to remove the hot corner and then you'd be in business.

sri

Yeah, that could probably work, but it looks more like it's a set of extensions which I would need.
Currently, I went with :

* Bolt (removes the hot corner, to replace it with a smaller overview version ala ubuntu, which uses zeitgeist and operates sort of the same way as the default overview search, but there are things to change) * Dash to Dock (so that I can still use it, even though the overview isn't available anymore) * Disable Window Animations (to reduce the time between workspace switching and useless animations, IMHO)

The trouble with this "bolt" is that it isn't done such that other overview-based extensions could fit in it. For example, I use :
* Calculator
* Journal
* SSH Search Provider

which are based on the overview to display the results.
There's probably a way to circumvent that and make them believe they are in the default overview. I guess I just need to check where are the result written and how, and then simply adapt bolt so that these data provider still work with it. And well... currently bolt is missing a workspace management anyway. So, nothing is really finished yet.

But I'd appreciate any clue.
Thanks
Alexandre Kaspar