Re: Gnome-shell segfault: "Can't init class Variant"

2012/8/6 Amy C <mathematical coffee gmail com>:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden a couple of days ago (4/Aug afternoon AEST) my
> gnome-shell refused to start with the following error:
>
> Exception was: Error: Failed to throw Exception 'Object 0xaf7065b0
> proto 0xaf702078 doesn't have a dynamically-registered class, it has
> $$`'
>     lineNumber = '243'
>     fileName = '"/usr/share/gjs-1.0/overrides/GLib.js"'
>     stack = '"_init()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/overrides/GLib.js:243"
> @/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:3
> "'
> Can't init class Variant
>
> Aborted
>
> I have not managed to get it to start since, always getting the above
> error (but the '$$`' appears to be random, sometimes rendering as odd
> symbols).
>
> I do not know what I would have done to trigger this. I have emptied
> my ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions so to eliminate them as a
> problem. I can successfully log in to any other shell (including
> 'Classic GNOME with Compiz'), so this is gnome-shell specific.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this/what I can do to further diagnose the
> problem? (that error message is the one in .xsession-errors and also
> that appears in the terminal when I try a `gnome-shell --replace` from
> there).

Looking at it, it seems a strange gjs bug - except that the fedora
update system doesn't show recent changes in that for F16.
Try reinstalling it anyway, and to further debug it, try running
gjs-console -c "imports.gi.GLib"
inside gdb, possibly breaking at gjs_throw.

Giovanni