Re: gnome shell extension development environment

>From your post I get the impression you may not have used the Autoconf
and Automake tools.

Jasper's comments sum up the reasons pro and con for the Autoconf and
Automake type of environment quite well.

<IMVHO> I would suggest that you clone the
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extension repository.  With a
few changes to the configuration files you can make it your own.  I
pared it down to only the "example" extension, changed it to create my
uuid, etc. and then had a place to experiment. The "example" extension
is an excellent example of the new features in 3.4. I am familiar with
Autoconf and Automake but I am mostly guided by "the monkey see, monkey
do approach".  If you have the time learning to use these tools can be
quite useful.  There is much head shaking voodoo but learning to use
them is worth the time and trouble.
</IMVHO>

A good reason to setup this type of environment is "make zip-file".
With the tweak tool installing and updating extensions is quite simple.

Testing extensions that use gsettings with gnome-shell-extensions-prefs
rounds out the changes in 3.4.  I mention gnome-shell-extensions-prefs
because I must have missed something somewhere because it took me longer
to find it than anything else. It is hidden on purpose(?). It must of
have been mentioned by name somewhere but my googling didn't find it.