Re: notification

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM, icesea <longbo20007 gmail com> wrote:
> The first glance at GNOME3 was fantastic appeal,what a beautiful,
> convenient manipulating way. And there is a little matter, I think. When
> my friends contact me via IM software, there is no any notification to
> me. The only way to notice that is focus the mouse right-bottom to show
> the auto-hide panel. I wonder is there a improvement space or some
> settings would make it better. Thank you,very much.

Hi,

I would like to second this. Actually, I started to prepare an email
with some suggestions, including one for this :)

For me, it is especially a problem when I disable notifications to
avoid interruptions. In this case I think it makes sense to highlight
the status menu whenever notifications are waiting in the tray.
Clicking on the status menu should then reveal the notification tray
and the "notifications" switch from the menu should be highlighted as
well to make it clear that the highlight is related to notifications.

The drawback would be that we may end up living with a status menu
that is always highlighted and teach ourselves to ignore it.

Maybe it should only be used for relatively high priority
notifications, and the highlighting should be removed whenever the
status menu is clicked or the tray is shown by user action, I think it
would provide a good balance.

Regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi