Re: Disliking gnome 3

Hiya,

On G2 I almost always used 2 or 3 virtual desktops to keep tabs of everything, but with G3 I found that having more than 1 virtual desktop is difficult to keep tabs on if you'll excuse the pun.. instead it seems easier to use the alt tab for task switching, and the windows key to get to the application overview screen. The only frustration is that I cannot tell what I have running, other than what is onscreen, unless I go to the overview screen which means I am having to remember what I have running. In all other respects I am very happy with G3 now I have had time to really try it out.. the application search if using the windows key and first few char of app name is faster than the mouse based menu system G2 has, and G3 does seem to be at least as stable as G2 so yes, it *is* a work in progress but perfectly workable, with justy a few features missing, and far far more polished than the Unity interface.

Regards
Steve Sheldon

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 17:25 -0400, Jesse Hutton wrote:

> I thought this would naturally be the case, as well. However, I've
> recently read in #gnome-design two different *lead* designers claim to
> not use workspaces. Both instances were in the context of discussing
> issues people found, so maybe it these were off-hand comments as a
> basis to claim ignorance. Nonetheless, apparently you *don't* need to
> use workspaces to enjoy Gnome Shell.

Certainly, and I don't see why Shell would be hard to use in a single
workspace.  When I'm out and about I typically use G3 in a single
workspace,  the improved window switching and activity overview makes
many-windows-in-a-workspace much easier to use than under G2

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential and
is intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorised disclosure,
copying or distribution of the contents is strictly prohibited.
Please reply immediately if you receive this e-mail in error and then
immediately delete it from your system.
Photo-Me International does not authorise the creation of contracts on its
behalf by e-mail.
All attachments have been scanned for viruses using regularly updated
programs. Photo-Me International cannot accept liability for any damage you
incur as a result of virus infection.