Re: Why are windows placed in columns?

Am Freitag, den 18.03.2011, 14:10 -0400 schrieb Jasper St. Pierre:
> It was initially implemented that way because it was easier to do, and
> this workspace logic goes back to when the shell looked like:
> http://owtaylor.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/gnome-shell-20090209.png

I remember that! And I didn't like it either. ;-) (I think it was the
time were I wrote the first entry on the bug)

Problems (in my opinion - am I wrong?):

1) Narrow Windows consume too much space.
In the top-right workspace the narrow bottom-right window consumes more
space than necessary.

2) Windows' relative size is not recognizable.
In the top-right workspace the bottom-left window seems to have the same
size like the two other similar looking windows - but, in fact, is much
smaller (see titlebar).

3) Grid makes Windows' positions less informative.
This is best seen if you place a window on the bottom-left and another
one on the top-right of a workspace (maybe overlapping) and compare the
patched behaviour with the currently implemented.

So far.

  Florian Kuhnt

--
Florian Kuhnt <florian kuhnt gmx de>