Re: Tiling features in Mutter

On 15.03.2011 11:41, Olav Vitters wrote:
No idea if feasible, but maybe work on exposing it in javascript, so the
tiling features can live in an extension? Then everyone wanting to use
tiling could have it easily (no need to compile / differ from what is in
the distro)

Note: not a dev, no idea if above makes sense :)

Would guess, the amount of changes necessary to the files in master would be about the same. Making it a plugin could be an idea. The advantage would be to have to change mutter just once to add the interface, then the rest can be done separately. The disadvantage could be that it just becomes 'yet another useless layer'. I'm reluctant, though, to do it in Javascript. Could be some low-level gtk/gdk features are needed which are not exposed to scripting languages. Adding tabbing seems to require serious messing with the window frames (I'm trying right now, and found it's not so easy to teach the frame that something might be in between the frame and the client window). Or maybe for the fans of graphical gimmicks maybe adding compositor effects for tiling could be nice. Then access to the compositor would also have to be exposed to scripts. I guess the tabber-tiler should at least have direct access to the address space of mutter and the objects within.