Re: Extensions Infrastructure Work

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Elia Cogodi <elia cogodi gmail com> wrote:
> I'd have said that a local setting shouldn't be catered for by an
> online-only GUI and that while online website seamless integration is
> nice, you should also have an equivalent local tool for the operations
> that make sense locally, such as enable/disable.
>
> A native GUI speaking DBus sounds like the simplest thing, it can even
> expose a link to the extension website if it's available and encourage
> you to open it with your default browser. Thus it would also work as
> an entry point for the users that want to look up new extensions.
>
> In the absence of such a capplet, how were you planning to inform the
> users of the availability and location of the extensions website?

To be absolutely honest, at first, I didn't intend for visibility beyond
what other people may do: I felt that links from gnome.org as well as
HowTos, Guides, documentation, and press coverage would have been more than
enough for most users.

I haven't thought about visibility since I solidified and unveiled the
project. Right now, I still feel the same, but depending on the
ever-changing goals of the project and the response from you guys, I
may change my stance.

> PS: "forbidden" because the use of the shell tweak tool by the base
> user has been not encouraged, if not actively discouraged. To which
> point extensions have to be encouraged for different audiences of
> users is up for discussion, I guess.

I've never seen it actively discouraged, and I'm sorry if some people
in the community made you feel that way.

--
 Jasper