Re: Extensions Infrastructure Work

Le mardi 21 juin 2011 à 17:11 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre a écrit :
> I'm not going to do an upgrade automatically. Instead, the user will
> get a simple notification telling him that extensions can be upgraded.
> Clicking on it will open the extensions.gnome.org website, where he
> can upgrade at his leisure. The 'shell-version' fieldcannot lie: the
> field is present for the user's benefit. If the automatic upgrading
> system sees that the newer versions are incompatible with the Shell,
> it won't pop up the notification or allow the user to upgrade.
Have you considered if/how upgrading extensions could be integrated in
a common upgrade tool? If the Shell, Epiphany, GEdit and other GNOME
apps start using extensions, it would really be nice to upgrade them all
from the same place. Else, you'll get an upgrade notification from the
Shell when logging in, one when starting two days later GEdit, etc. That
really doesn't fit in the idea of a desktop that helps you focusing on
what you want to do. With a central place, we could check every two
weeks for upgrades, and run them all at the same time.

Probably the PackageKit upgrade tool isn't the best candidate (at least
as-is), because it works on system packages, and rarely bring
interesting new things to users, contrary to extensions that people
chose to install. But either a per-user upgrade tool could run, or the
PackageKit one could gain support for per-user extensions. What do you
think?

Cheers