emitting signals from a JS object

So it seems that all GObjects have an `emit` method for signals.

I have need in my extension for one javascript object to be notified
of an event happening in another object. Both of these are plain old
javascript objects. What do I need to call / inherit from in order to
emit and connect to signals on a javascript object?

I have tried setting my __proto__ to GObject.Object.prototype, but
when I call `emit` I get the following error:
> Error: Object 0x7f246888a8f0 proto 0x7f246888a820 doesn't have a dynamically-registered class, it has Object

(not sure if that is the right approach at all in the first place, but
it seemed like a reasonable guess ;))

Cheers,
 - Tim.