Parsing XML in gnome-shell with Javascript - libxml2?

Appreciate this may not be exactly the right place for this question,
however someone here may have solved this already.
I've been playing around with writing some shell-extensions and have a
need to parse some proper xml returned from a service endpoint.
Normally (in an app) I'd use libxml2 and parse the response that way.

Is libxml2 fully supported? I see there is a .gir file for it but that
doesn't look complete to me - i.e. I can imports.gi.libxml2 but I'm
having difficulty doing anything with it.

Could someone give me a quick pointer on how to use libxml2 from
javascript OR suggest a better way of parsing a full xml document -
would GMarkup be a better choice?

Feel free to tell me to take my question elsewhere!

best wishes