From: Zefei Xuan <zefei xuan gmail com>
Sender: gnome-shell-list-bounces@gnome.orgDate: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:56:31
To: <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Subject: First post,
	thanks and one suggestion (universal gesture for natural scrolling)

This is my first post to the list, and I want to congratulate and
thank the gnome shell team for the wonderful gnome shell. Because of
the new shell, for the first time I felt that gnome is not only a
better option in the linux world but can beat mac os and windows in
terms of usability as well. The overview feels very polished and is
natural to use. It still has its rough edges but we all know it's
still early stage.

During my use of gnome 3 (fedora 15), I encountered a few problems and
I have one suggestion. In the overview, we can change to another
workspace by dragging empty space, but it is often difficult because:
1. overview is usually filled with windows hence hitting an empty
space requires some effort; 2. mouse scrolling is set to zooming
individual windows and cannot be used to switch workspace at all. I
can see the reasons behind this design, but I would like to suggest a
simple solution: to add mouse right button dragging as a system wide
gesture for natural scrolling (i.e. ios style scrolling). The reason
is that: 1. right button dragging is rarely used in non-3d
applications; 2. left button dragging is mostly used for selection; 3.
many mice lack horizontal scrolling, or it just sucks; 4. natural
scrolling makes sense in many contexts. This _might_ be the wrong list
to submit such suggestion, but I think natural scrolling can improve
workspace switching / application list scrolling a lot.

Again, thank you guys for the great job.

--
Best,
Zefei Xuan