Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

On Jul 9, 2011 2:54 AM, "Florian Max" <florian muellner gmail com> wrote:
>> I agree that puttng "background" windows on a separate workspace
>> unclutters the overview, but it certainly isn't a perfect solution,
>> just a workaround:
>> * it still clutters the dock
>
> All running applications "clutter" the dock. To be honest, I don't see this as problem - to the contrary, having two completely unrelated ways to get to a running application (icon in dock, status icon) is much more problematic in my opinion.

"normal" running aps are expected to appear in the dock. Background ones can either be here or somewhere else, I would prefere somewhere else, but indeed being in the dock also makes sense. The downside for me is that it may make the dock harder to use as it shows many icons. Beside this, I don't mind. Similar comment applies fot the other parts (alt-tab and overview)

>> * some applications (dropbox) don't have an explicit window at all
>
> That is very problematic from a shell perspective. Our definition of an application is pretty much "has open windows" (for running applications) or "will open windows" (for launchers). Services on the other hand are rather limited in presenting UI - the only "officially sanctioned" way is by using notifications.
>

>> * it doesn't solve at all the "I want to view the status of this
>> application or give it some order" use case
>

> "give it some order" should be covered by notification actions, you are right about the "I want to view the status" case not being covered.

I thought the notifications were better suited for the status than for the actions. So can they provide more than just one action like the indicators do?
If they can, it is probably enough, the only downside is that icons for background stuff is mixed with actual notifications. But it a design issue, not a capability one, it can be solved.

>> But I really think that applications should be able to add a set of
>> actions that can be triggered quickly by the user.
>

> Again, the "if" and "how" of that are design questions.

Fair enough. But it is also a political one: it has been a supported feature for a while. I would be glad to see a better how, but a willingly rejecting this kind of things would need strong arguments, much more than "it was discussed on IRC" :-)

Thanks for the input anyway, we don't disagree so much I guess :-)

Best regards.