Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 17:07 +0100, Filip Štědronský wrote:

> Hi,
> It's not just about small windows. I dare say most of the
> windows we use today are maximized (be it browser, mail client,
> text editor). The workspace concept is useful particularly for
> _those_. Because when I have several such maximized windows
> opened (any way of switching between them from the old-school
> Alt+Tab to expose-like views is slow and costly). However,
> switching workspaces can be lighting fast. If I assign
> keystrokes to each (which is the only reasonable way
> of switching workspaces anyway), I can get _directly_ to the one
> I want. For example I know I have my browser running
> at workspace, so I press Super+F3 or sth similar and I
> _am there_. It takes about a tenth of a second. When I am
> copying information from a website (WS 3) to a document (WS 5)
> and sometimes I need a dictionary (WS 6), I am just alternately
> pressing Super+F3 and Super+F5 and even the occasional Super+F6
> doesn't mess it up. Because the keystrokes are absolute,
> context-independent. You don't have to think about where you
> are, just about where you want to go. And you go right there,
> with one keystroke, you don't have to look for the right
> application, either by repeatedly pressing Alt+Tab or by looking
> it up in some kind of an overview. It's useful from three
> windows upwards and especially for the "static" ones that you
> access a lot (browser, IM, etc.). Anytime I want to google
> something in the middle of any work, I just press Super+F3
> Ctrl+K <query> Return. Less than a second.

that's a good example of exactly the thing I was missing, thanks - so
the question stands, how do we make people like me aware of it?

Of course, also remember that we came *into* this side-track on a
discussion about making alt-tab behaviour more predictable.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey