Re: Gnome-Shell - questions and opinions

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 08:50 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > For expose, I'm sorry that you don't like, but before we remove the
> > feature or make it optional, we need to understand why you feel it is
> > wrong.
>
> The problem with expose is that it moves your windows around and resizes
> them, many times unnecessarily.
>
> When one uses workspaces, it is often not required to have windows that
> overlap each other. In other words, one sets the windows on each worspace
> so that they are fully visible. That's the point of having workspaces - you
> get much more screen real estate. The eye and the brain "remember" the size
> and the position of windows.
>
> With gnome-shell, one gets expose behaviour by default when in overview, so
> windows for which one already "knows" the position and size get moved
> around and resized, so one has to search for them again. This is not only
> unnecessary, but tedious and tiring.

I agree. As I use to resize app windows myself(e.g., I need to read the
content of an inactive(resized) app window while retaining the focus of
the current app). The expose defeats this purpose when it is in effect.
The resizing is totally unnecessary in my experience, I hope it can be
turned on and off.