Re: Cantarell font

"Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy" <pclouds gmail com> wrote:
> To: "Lucian Adrian Grijincu" <lucian grijincu gmail com>

> > The font is quite limited with respect to character coverage. For
> > example it does not have all characters required for the Romanian
> > language (I've recently added those characters and sent a message to
> > the maintainer).
> >
> > I suggest the other language teams see if the font has support for
> > all
> > characters needed for their language.
>
> I see now why text in my laptop looks crappy (I'm testing Vietnamese
> version of gnome-shell). Any way to set default font per locale?

Bit in a hurry at the monent, so I'll quote a relevant IRC conversation from yesterday that hopefully points you in the right direction. Let us know how it turns out. This was in the context of discussing the fontconfig snippet installed by the Fedora Cantarell package which was making it part of sans-serif which we didn't want, and what should be in there instead.

<owen>  cosimoc: we do need a fontconfig snippet
<owen>  cosimoc: the current plan is to make Cantarell inherently a weak binding so that if you specify Cantarell then it will get reordered behind stuff in sans-serif if it doesn't support the current language
<cosimoc>       owen, right now if I parse that snippet correctly, all it does is setting cantarell as default for sans-serif in the whole system
<cosimoc>       owen, which breaks KDE on fedora
<owen>  cosimoc: I'm saying, we need *some* snippet, not that we need *that* snippet
<cosimoc>       owen, oh fair enough :)
<mclasen>       cosimoc: can you try to figure out what snippet we might need ?
<cosimoc>       mclasen, my guess is we don't need any until we have the weak binding thing owen mentioned sorted out
<owen>  cosimoc: if someone is goign to modfiy the cantarell package, they really should try to come up with the weak Feb <cosimoc>       owen, I'm the package owner so I guess it's my turn to learn how fontconfig works
cosimoc: I think that what you need to do is to match on the Cantarell family name, and then replace it with the Cantarell family name, but as a weak binding
<owen>  <match target="pattern">
<owen>  </match>
<owen>  cosimoc: the test to see whether that works is that
<owen>  pango-view --language=vi --font 'Cantarell 12' --text 'Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy'
<owen>  should show that name all in Deja Vu instead of having a ransom-note mix of Deja Vu and Cantarell
<owen>  (that's the GNOME Vietnamese translator's name)

I apologize for using your name there - it was just the first Vietnamese text I found opening a .po file :-)

- Owen