disconnecting signals on disable()

I have an extension (http://gfxmonk.net/shellshape/) that connect()s
to a large number of GObject signals on various things (workspaces,
displays, windows, etc).

Is it good form to dutifully track all these connections and
explicitly disconnect() them in my extension's disable() function? I
was hoping I could just let the objects go out of scope by `delete`ing
them, and that perhaps the signals would be released then. But it
seems like a long shot, does anyone know if that's sufficient?

If not, is there a good way to automatically release connections held
by an object - or do I just need to do it manually?

Cheers,
 - Tim.