Re: Disliking gnome 3

n Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Pasha R <pashar ml gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Ben Greear <greearb candelatech com> wrote:
>> I couldn't find a better place to voice my displeasure of Gnome 3,
>> so I'm posting here.
>>
>> I really just want gnome-2 back.  Fallback mode sort of works, but its
>> still not as good as gnome 2 was.  I do work on my computer, not just
>> open one or two windows and browse the web.  I want one-click to open
>> new Terminals.  I want to drag the Terminal icon into the top task bar
>> to accomplish that.  Right-click should work without having to press
>> Alt.  I want the bottom task dock or whatever it's called so I can easily
>> select
>> from the multitude of windows I have on my desktop.
>>
>> Please have a one-click (or very few clicks) option to get the old
>> gnome-2 interface back.  If you want to have a new way of doing things,
>> that's fine too, but please don't break the old ways of doing things
>> so badly.
>>
>> I'm downgrading to Fedora 14 for now..hope things clear up by
>> F16 or F17.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

> Welcome to the club. But, IMHO, complaining here won't help -
> developers repeatedly stated that they won't change anything, and
> probably will make things even worse. I'm staying with F14 while it is
> supported and looking at KDE and XFCE as a possible future
> replacement.

If you find that GNOME3 doesn't work for you, feel free to change to
another desktop environment. No offence taken. It's not for everyone,
and GNOME 3.0 was a bit unstable and buggy. If it was perfect, I'd be
out of a job :). We're making changes every day, hopefully to be a bit
better.

A somewhat overarching theme of GNOME 3.2, and GNOME3 in general is to
recognize how online services influence how people use computers and
provide conveniently integration with IM, email, and for now, Google
Documents. Some might feel a bit offended or scared of better online
integration. If you are, feel free to change to another desktop
environment. And we are sort of venturing into the unexplored here for
a desktop environment, and we may not make the best choices all the
time, and we're not going to be perfect from day one.

(I'm using the "we" pronoun to conveniently refer to the GNOME desktop
environment and its developers, but this is my opinion)

(and a PSA: if you have any specific "doesn't work" complaints:
crashes, slow, instability, something happened that you have
reasonable belief to expect wasn't normal, please file bugs: I get
frustrated when someone points out a bug on reddit or on a blog, and
I've never seen it reported, even though it's a bug that we probably
would have fixed.)