Re: Suspend & Power Off: A compromise

Il giorno sab, 20/08/2011 alle 09.05 +0200, Denis Washington ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> The question if there should be an always-visible "Power Off..." status
> menu item next to "Suspend" has been discussed to death already.
> However, I do not want to bring up that same exact discussion again, but
> propose a compromise solution, which I already mentioned in the bug
> report yesterday [1], but for those who don't follow that bug, here is
> the idea:
>
> There would still be only the "Suspend" option in the status menu.
> However, if the user has no application windows open (or if the dash
> shows no applications running anymore, I don't know if this is the
> same), clicking on "Suspend" would bring up a dialog which asks if the
> user would like to shut down the computer completely instead, explaining
> shortly that he would lose no state (because no application is open) and
> that he would save more power this way. Closing the laptop lid would
> obviously still always suspend.
>
> The advantage of this solution is that the original intention of the
> current design would be preserved - application state is never lost -
> while making it easy for the user to save power if there is no state to
> lose. If he or she doesn't like or want complete shutdown (because of
> the boot time on next usage, or because he/she knows there is a
> background process running that should be resumed next time) there is
> still the option to suspend anyway.
>
> What do you think?

I see your points, and it would surely help the user deciding when to
suspend and when to poweroff. Nevertheless I don't like this proposal
because we would have the same menu item with two different actions,
which is pretty confusing, expecially if the cause of the different
result is not immediately evident. Also, we would have two different
dialogs, one with Suspend and one without it (since you don't want
Suspend if you explicitly asked Power Off...).
It is true that your behavior is more akin to what the user wants, than
what we have today. But with this particular issue, I think we need to
leave the policy decision completely in the hands of the user (because
edge cases not covered by design happen to be the majority and not just
edges).

Giovanni