Re: Request for a choice

On 04/30/2011 12:35 PM, Tim Murphy wrote:
Hi,

I am using Fedora Core 15 and am not happy with the new shell.

I don't wish to start a flamewar so I'm not going to list any points
about it or waste time arguing about the details.  This link explains
how I feel probably better than I could myself:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html
Oh gosh, that post annoys me. Well, how long have you given GNOME 3 a try? Did you learn the keyboard shortcuts like Alt+Tab and Alt+` (or whatever's above tab)? Pressing the Activities (windows) key to quickly get to the dash? There's tons of nice shortcuts that make using the desktop faster and more efficient; I'd read up on some (like the GNOME Shell Cheat Sheet <https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet>) before you give up.

Also, you can use the "Fallback Mode" by going to System Settings -> System Info -> Graphics -> Forced Fallback Mode, but it's called "Fallback Mode" for a good reason; it's deprecated and it won't receive major updates in the future. It's a mostly identical GNOME 2-like experience but it doesn't support some applets (they'll need to be ported). Still, I highly recommend using that.

Also, don't forget that GNOME 2 will be supported by some distros for at least another year security-wise, and the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release supports it way, way longer. You aren't forced to use GNOME 3, but please give it a try, it's very pleasant once you're used to it! GNOME 3.2 and 3.4 are going to be even better and more usable as a whole, so if GNOME 3.0 isn't good for you now, even after you've tried it, waiting for those releases would be a good choice.