Re: 3rd party application integration guidelines - how to be a good shell citizen?

Thanks for your comments, Johannes! I checked the notification
persistence features again, but am not completely happy yet.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:42:07 +0200, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>
wrote:

> Well, just switch to another application. As gnome-shell doesn't have
> a task bar there is no reason something would be "in-the-way".

Switching to another application is not exactly what I had in
mind to get rid of the application. I still have the old application
window around, I see it partially occluded behind non-maximized
windows, I have it cluttering the Alt+Tab application switcher,
the application overview and so on. It appears as visual clutter, and
somewhat contradicts the otherwise distration-free design of the shell.

I think it would make sense to have a special design for applications
that users want to keep launched as long as they are logged in
(because they perform some important background task or keep
communication channels open), but only interact with once in a while.

Holger