Re: My first impression of GNOME 3

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 01:20:34 -0700, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> > Oh last I checked my WinXP, it had an appearance setting dialog which let
> > me both select the look of windows and buttons as well as a color
> > scheme. So I am not sure that no one else provides no themeing support.
>
> yeah, it's been pointed out to me later in the thread that I was wrong
> on that one. d'oh =) now waiting for someone with a clue to chip in.

I did not bother to boot my OSX work laptop, and my android phone is a
highly tweakable modified version, so I cannot speak for other systems,
I suspect you are mostly right there. I suspect distros might ship
alternative themes as packages that a user can install, if they want to
give users a choice. And I am fine with that. I just need to tweak the
theme to save some vertical space in the title bar and it looks fine to
me.

> > Is there a way, to have apps be autostarted somehow and be stoved in
> > some specific "workspace"? That would solve my needs.
>
> g-s-p will let you set anything to be autostarted. Making it appear in a
> specific workspace, I'm not sure if that's possible. (I'd like it to
> remember I always want Firefox on the right-hand screen, but alas, this
> seems impossible...)

Oh, that would be nifty, "autostart firefox and start it on Worspace 2
on the right monitor". Or even a simple, "put it where it was during the
last run" :-). Yes, I would like that.

> > a) be able to configure emphathy which contact messages should lead to
> > notifications and which not.
>
> this seems reasonable to me, or perhaps empathy should default to not
> treating twitter-type service messages as notification-worthy, since
> they're not really conversations.

Yep, it's obviously an empathy issue, but one that makes my gnome-shell
experience a bit more burdensome :-). I'll check if there are bugs
reported suggesting something like this.

Sebastian