Re: My first impression of GNOME 3

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:57:47 +0200, Maciej Marcin Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 21:50 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > Does anyone know where I can set things so that it sends mail *not*
> > using evolution?

> dconf-editor
> /org/gnome/desktop/applications/office/calendar?

It is actually much easier to change than this, as someone had pointed
our earlier. "System info" contains a configuration option for the
preferred apps which solved this.

> > Previously I had my 5 most needed apps in the panel which I could start immediately. Now I have to go to the hot-corner to make the panel appear, find the app and go there to start it. It's more moving and more waiting.
> Search for application, right click on it and click 'add to
> favourites'.

Oh, I know how to do that. It's still not convenient as a
always-on-the-screen panel that I can simply click on, without having to
circling with the mouse on my dual screen setup :-). But I can live with
that.

> That is problem for any application that uses bottom space.

Yes, it is. And the solution? :-)

@all, Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I do know that many of the
issues I brought up stem from a poor integration with Ubuntu (I am going
to rectify this in the long-run :-). As for the other issues, I am glad
that things could either be solved or are being worked on.

The only thing that *no one* has dared to address in their reply so far,
is how to get rid of unwanted indicator icons (the accessibility
settings icon in my original example). Finding out how to get rid of it
and actually doing so was a process that still has some
... errr. improvement potential :-). On the other hand, it gave me an
amazing first glimpse under the hood of gnome shell theming.

Sebastian