Re: Gnome 3: Too much space wasted

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 10:59 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Hoang Le <linux lehoang gmail com>
> wrote:
>         Gnome 3 is a great leap. I definitely love it: clean, smart
>         and recognizable. I really appreciate that
>

>         But does anyone notice is that it wastes too much space? To
>         me, all  margins seem to be big. As a developer, I would like
>         to have more screen space for working or even reading, what I
>         can have with windows but haven't had with Gnome. Yes, I'm
>         using Gnome 2 with some customization but still I want to
>         reduce those margins even more. I don't expect to fix this
>         immediately but I hope it would be considered seriously in the
>         future.
>

> Could you be ab it more precise by margins?  Do you mean the height of
> the top bar is too big?  If so, you can change that by changing the
> relalated css.

I, just looking at Evolution noticed that the title of the window could
be moved up to the right of the "Activities" button, replacing the name
of the Program. I would also recommend that right clicking on this
button closes the window, just as a shortcut.

This would allow the removal of the entire window title bar, 85% of
which is wasted space anyway. The only slight problem with this almost
perfect plan is that it makes moving windows around more difficult, in
some cases you have to use the alt key. One way of fixing this would be
to make any non-reactive part of the window, act, when dragged, to move
the window.

Chris