Re: Taskbar replacement

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 18:25 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com> wrote:
> > On 03/20/2011 10:11 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> >
> > Because the mockup/screenshot took a minute or two to come up, here's
> > a mirror: http://i.imgur.com/MPqe2.png
> >
> > Thanks man
> >
> > Most people who are asking for a "taskbar" are really asking for an
> > easier way to switch windows. Speaking on my own, I really, really
> > like this idea, with a few caveats:
> >
> > :)
> >
> > 1) I don't like the way you trigger it: it will probably frustratng
> > that touching the top of the screen by accident is a bit 'destructive'
> > in terms of workflow, but that can be fixed.
> > 2) It's a bad idea that all the window close buttons are lined up like
> > that, so we should probably hide the close button on all windows but
> > the current one.
> > 3) What happens with skinny windows? Will they just have a really,
> > really big title bar? What about windows that have a specified max
> > size?
> >
> > Very genuine considerations.  Any ideas? I mean, for me the concept of
> > emerging title bars is what I'm marketing here. I didn't consider details.
> >
> > Having the "title bar" be a lookalike would probably be better: when
> > you trigger it, a window list of lookalike window decorations, without
> > close buttons, slides down, 'pushing' the current window down, and
> > selecting a window fades the real window you selected in.
> >
> > I'm trying to paint a mental picture of your description but its blurry.
> > Could you make a sketch?  A rough pencil sketch should get my rusty
> > imaginative capabilities back online.  Then I might be able to enhance it.
> >

> Just spent 20-30 minutes making this: http://jsfiddle.net/tmcvN/2/

Hi Jasper

Enjoying a bit of vacation from Gnome Scripting/Programming?  You guys
rock.  Congratulations on the release.

I have not been fortunate at #gnome-design.  I always choose the wrong
time to visit so I haven't seen the core designers yet.  I'll check
again on Monday.  However, I'm wondering if this won't be better
presented as an Extension.  In that case, would you be willing to take
it up (I script in python and my knowledge of CSS is elementary)?

It'll be nice to have this alternative to taskbars and maybe add a
keystroke based trigger instead (say Alt+arrowup and Alt+ArrowDown).
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping you'll say 'yes'

Regards
Onyeibo