Re: gnome-shell port for Apple II

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Shawn Thompson <superfox436 gmail com> wrote:
Despite the fact that Gnome-shell isn't truly "complete" yet, me and a
friend have actually begun to create a version of it for the Apple II.
Now, you might be thinking, why would you want to change the desktop
of an Apple computer? Didn't they invent a lot of the GUI norms? The
reason, is because we can. Note, it's still incomplete, but I've
actually managed to get some of the window behaviours down correctly,
though in a 2D monochrome way of course. Still, the recreation of such
an advanced,highly complexicated and EASY window management system
within the confines of such hardware is an achievement on its own!

Of course, to prove I'm not pulling your legs, here are some
screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/yH4Z1

The first picture is the shell running on an emulator. You can see
that it is able to run Apple II native apps, alongside the ability to
search through them and other files in your storage medias (we're
still working on it, it takes about 46 seconds from the striking of
return for it to give results). The second screenshot, unfortunately
taken with my friend's crappy cellphone, shows it running a calculator
app on an actual Apple IIc computer.

Once we figure out how to get it into a format that can actually be
edited on a normal modern computer, we will see if we can put the
source code up on the Gnome GIT repository. The code ''is'' rather
fascinating to look at too. You'll love how we did it >:)

I suppose you want translation too, huh? :-)  I must admit that's quite an interesting thing.  But good grief, Apple ][??   Crazy man...

sri