Re: Will traditional notification area be available in gnome-shell 3.0?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 07:23 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have a few questions regarding Tomboy in gnome-shell 3.0:
>>
>> 1) Will there still be a regular old notification area available, so
>> that Tomboy can run in the tray as it always has? (obviously running
>> in the tray is evil, blah blah blah, let's not get into that right
>> now)
>
> Well, it is evil ;-)
>
> At least for the time being, tray icons are still displayed - the
> notification area is now restricted to system status items, but other
> icons have been moved to the message tray at the bottom. That said,
> their use is highly discouraged, and the designers are pushing hard for
> having them replaced.

Thanks for the info.

Of course I agree about the evilness, but nothing better has come
along yet, except Docky menus.

>> 2) Are there any new or upcoming features in gnome-shell 3.0 that
>> would allow Tomboy to reimplement its note menu directly in the shell
>> (something like right-clicking the app icon), so that the notification
>> area icon would no longer be necessary?
>
> Yes - it is planned to enable applications to add custom actions to
> their application menu (right next to the activities button).

Nice but insufficient.  User should not have to switch to Tomboy to
gain access to the note menu.

>> 3) Will gnome-shell 3.0 support extensions that modify the shell UI in
>> arbitrary ways?
>
> Yes and no. There are no technical restrictions of what extensions can
> do - extension code has access to the entire javascript code base (just
> like "official" shell code). Some arbitrary modifications like removal
> of elements are very likely to break stuff though, so not everything is
> possible ... arbitrary additions on the other hand are unlikely to
> impose problems.

Okay.   Any docs yet on how to write/run/install extensions?

Sandy