Re: Task Panel

I read your original idea, it seems the idea is good. One thing that I very much appreciated of the gnome-shell is the bigger workspace than the default gnome 2.x environment.

>>It saves screen space by removing the need for a tab bar and instead merging it into the little used titlebar.

How about merging the application title bar into the activities bar, the current clock which is in the center can be moved far right. In this way, we could utilize all the available space of the monitor for a given application. It is almost like working full screen!  Then the traditional File - Edit - View menu will be integrated into the activities bar -  better than the implementation of OSx's.

My another suggestion is that first, the primary goal of the "Add to favorite" feature of the gnome-shell is that we can run our application as quickly as possible by clicking the icon. The icon is glowed(if I use this term correctly) if it was already running(my current compiled version doesn't glow), however if there are so many instances of the application, the same problem occurs of what window to select and this will take time which will defeat the goal of quickly switching between windows. I have here the screenshot of what may look like if I hover the mouse cursor over the icon.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_22mgGC0kvQY/S_YXA_Z8SGI/AAAAAAAAAB8/03twzsf4or8/s1600/ScreenshotGnome-Shell.png