Re: Re: A task panel

Le jeudi 20 mai 2010 à 14:33 +0000, kaddy080 gmail com a écrit :
> I am very glad that you are satisfied with the current "non finished"
> version of gnomeshell and how it handles window management..
> unfortunately there are alot of other people out here who find the
> current handling of windows bothersome, and not straightforward....
> its a hell of alot easier and
> quicker to click a minimised application to bring it back up rather
> than zooming out and zooming in on the app, or alt tabbing... while
> this may satisfy YOU.... it doesn't satisfy
> alot of other users.... hence an additional modification to
> gnome-shell to make life easier for the "others" such as a panel dock,
> or the ability to click on the minimised app in the panel can only
> be a good thing.... therefore people who are happy to alt tab/zoom
> in/out are satisfied.... and those that want a quicker solution such
> as clicking on a dock/minimised app in the panel are also
> satisfied..... otherwise there is going to be people on one side or
> another who are not going to be happy..... I have proposed the Panel
> dock recently.... I don't see why it shouldn't be taken seriously....
> look at the forums, especially ubuntu forums with threads about
> gnome-shell.... most people do not like the way gnome-shell handles
> windows.... I for one will move to another D.E if gnome-shell gnome 3
> is half baked and featureless... but I am putting my faith in the devs
> that they will implement a way to use gnome-shell easy and quickly
> with minimal fuss... The future will be interesting to see what
> happens...........
Please, rewrite this e-mail using correct punctuation, full sentences
starting with a capital and ending with one dot, not hundreds. I don't
even have the courage to read your message as-is. Thanks.

Only actual user testing will be able to decide whether people usually
feel good with the overview to switch apps, or whether they adapt
reasonably well after some time, being as happy as before.
See http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/UsabilityTesting/PhaseI

That said, I'm concerned that we, advanced users, make a intensive use
of Alt+Tab currently, effectively often avoiding the overview. People
that don't use the keyboard by lack of knowledge of shortcuts might
encounter difficulties we don't have. If we feel Alt+Tab is needed, then
accessing it's features with the mouse might be required too.

Instead of complaining, I'd like somebody who really feels the need for
a dock-like feature to actually step in and provide an extension for it.
The Shell is written in Java Script, you could add a way to activate
Alt+Tab with the mouse in a few lines.

Regards