Re: Gnome-shell - some usability problems I found

On 7/8/10, Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com> wrote:

> I don't under... why the name of the appli... is listed at all.  Pretty much
> every appli... name gets trunc... in the overv.... If the curre... setup
> can't fit the name of the major... of the progr... even on a defau.... GNOME
> install, then maybe somet... is wrong with the design

That sums it up for me. What bothers me here is that the overlay has
the entire screen - at least 1200 pixels wide - but all these little
widgets are trying their hardest to be as small as possible. Here the
application browser - The Reason why people click the Activities
button - squeezes into less space than an iPhone's home screen. The
remaining seven eights of the screen do nothing.

The design may be more interesting if there aren't a hundred apps to
switch between (one reason why iPhone's works), but that needs some
well defined philosophy changes first.