Re: windows of one application spreading to other workspaces

On lun, 2010-01-25 at 12:26 +0000, startx wrote:
> a possible notification from claws-mail (e.g. a server error)
> is opened on the _new_ workspace. however i wont see this
> because there is no application panel and its hidden "behind"
> the open window.

Yes, this is awfully annoying ...

> when i then switch back to the workspacewhere claws-mail is open
> it seems to be frozen (as its waiting for me to react to the
> notification on another workspace)

... especially for modal dialogs (modal = blocking interaction with the
main window)

> here i wonder: should an application not only use _the same_ workspace
> to open other windows instead of trying to "follow me"?

Now that is what I call good thinking! Although technically the
application does not try to "follow you", I completely agree with you on
what the correct behavior is supposed to look like.

> is this behaviour given by the windowmanager or the application?

Usually, the window manager will open windows on the active workspace,
but it is possible to "mark" windows as "belonging" to another window.
Any sane window manager which understands this hint, will
 - open the new window on the same workspace as the "owner"
 - keep the new window above the "owner"

Especially when opening modal windows, not setting this hint is a
serious flaw, although IMHO it should be set for any window which is not
considered a main application window.

So how does this relate to gnome-shell? Not having a window list in the
panel certainly makes it less forgiving towards that behavior than e.g.
metacity+gnome-panel - hopefully that will finally result in
applications fixing bad behavior.

To be fair, IMO applications that do the right thing still behave nicer
with metacity+gnome-panel than with shell ...