Re: interapplication communication

On 01/14/2010 04:09 AM, Gianluca Inverso wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Gianluca Inverso <zappete gmail com> wrote:

2010/1/5 Florian Müllner <florian muellner gmail com> wrote:
In the overview, right clicking a running app's icon in the app well
will pop up a menu and filter the window previews to only show windows
that belong to the selected application.
Of course, any ideas for making said functionality more discoverable
would be very much appreciated ... *hint, hint*

Here are two suggestions :)

1) When hovering an app in the app well, highlight the corresponding windows
2) Let this feature auto-enable when the mouse sits for more than a couple of seconds on the same app's icon in the app well

(1) is easy to discover, so the user will probably sit on the app icon when looking for the window he can't find. If he can't find that window quickly, (2) is automatically enabled

I'm sort of bumping my own post, hope this is not a problem.
I made a quick mockup of highlighting windows corresponding to an application when user hovers its icon in the app well:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/998584/highlight_windows_on_icon_hover_mockup.png

As already said, after some seconds of sitting on the same icon this could trigger the actual filtering functionality already implemented (i.e.  filter the window previews to only show windows
that belong to the selected application and display a menu which also allows to set the app as "favourite").
Even if you don't like the "auto-enable filtering" stuff, I think the mockup above would be very helpful since it is of course much easier to discover.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for coding Gnome-Shell!! :)

--
Gianluca Inverso