Re: interapplication communication

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm gmail com> wrote:
Be careful how far you step into controlling the user experience. Everyone thinks and organizes information differently.

Something such as this may be nice and helpful for some, but a simple search with time settings added would have sufficed. Remember K.I.S.S.
That's our primary use case. By default, the bar is designed to show all recent documents ordered by time. The bar also features a simple search box.

However, we still would like to support automatically grouping documents into Activities for users who are interested in having their information organized automatically. At this point it's unclear how large that group of users is, but even if they're the majority we still don't want to force Activities/Related Documents upon everyone. The extra features should just be an unobtrusive yet noticeable part of the interface which people can gradually start using if they see that the features help them improve their productivity.

Personally I like organizing and finding the files myself. I don't like the software dynamically moving around the information, even if it is to help me. Gnome-do I find is a great balance between such.
We support that as well. Documents can be relevant because we think so (based on your history) but they can also be relevant because you simply tell us so yourself. One of the goals of the bar is to provide an easy interface for doing so. (If you want to add a document to an activity you just drag it to the top of the screen.)

FWIW, the Gnome-Do team recently began showing "most used" documents from Zeitgeist. [1] They've also considered using Zeitgeist to improve Do's ability to guess what you would like to type. [2]

-Natan

[1] http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/12/zeitgeist-docky.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/do/+spec/zeitgeist-relevancy