Swapping active windows

Hi, folks. Just joined the list when the discussion (again?) is touching on the best (?!) way to move between windows. My 2c has the msg: please, no best way, enable choice?

On my own Gnome desktop there are several ways to switch windows:

1. Mouse-click on Window list. Sits (uncomfortably, needs redesign) as vertical stack of labelled buttons at the bottom of my only panel, at screen left. This applet currently offers a choice: show windows from current workspace/show windows from all workspaces. Choice!

2. Use keyboard. I've changed Alt+Tab to Ctrl+Tab. Choice of shortcut!

3. Position non-maximised windows so that rolling up one window leaves just its titlebar and reveals another window. Choose between windows by selecting titlebar for focus. Have assigned double-clicking of titlebar to the toggling of rolled-up, rolled-down; could also use a theme which has a roll-up button at top right. Choice!

1, 2, 3. Which do I use? All three. It depends. I work fast, and it's a subconscious choice probably based on where my hands are at the moment of swapping windows, or where they've just been. CHOICE!

If I had a single button or area on screen which - activated with a mouse motion - told me which windows were open, I'd go straight to Preferences and disable the thing.

Bob