Re: Re : interapplication communication

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm gmail com> wrote:
> "Our hope is that message tray will further reduce the need to
> switch windows - that you won't need to switch windows because a new
> message came in, or your music player shuffled to a track you don't
> like. You'll only need to switch windows if you decide to do something
> different."
>
> "The message tray is meant to be self-introducing, because it pops up by
> itself when something comes in. So hopefully, going back to the bottom
> of the screen will be natural to users; they'll pick up the idea that
> "messages are at the bottom""
>
> Ubuntu nailed it with having messages in the top right, along with the whole
> user activity/switcher part. Instead of working on a whole new part on the
> bottom of the screen teams should be working together.

There is a section on this in the design document.  I won't reiterate
it here.  The summary is that while I think Ubuntu's notify-osd does
solve some important problems with the way notifications are performed
in GNOME 2 many others remain.  It has a very different goal.  It is
intentionally non-interactive.  Our message design is intentionally
interactive.

> For the same reason gnome-shell has a top bar instead of a bottom bar like
> windows, the message tray shouldn't be at the bottom.

The bar location is also addressed in the design document.  However,
I'm not sure how those reasons apply to the message tray.

Jon