Re: interapplication communication

Owen Taylor wrote:

> I did not say that. I said:
>
>  - Adding a task list to the current design does not make sense
>    *in isolation*.
>
>  - We want to do user testing with the current design (including the
>    message tray) and are unlikely to make any big changes without
>    reference to that.

Hi,

unless I am mistaken, the Shell aims to structure the user's work-flow
around activities and tasks. In the Shell, an activity is basically a
set of windows that are used together so that the user can achieve a
more or less defined goal; since said goal can change dynamically, the
user should be able to re-arrange the tasks, spawn new activities, etc.

For me, the activity-task hierarchy is the basis of the conceptual model
of the Shell.

The way I see it, a good method to enforce this model would be to reduce
and focus the need to use the Activities view, which should only be used
for actually creating and managing activities and not as the primary
method for switching between tasks within the same activity. If you
already have the current activity set up with all that you need to carry
out a specific piece of work laid in the current workspace, having to go
back to the Activities view will demand a higher mental load than if you
were able to manage your windows without leaving the current workspace.
It's all a matter of allowing the user to focus on what she is doing:
"if you are working in activity A, we will not force you to remember
activities B, C and D unless you choose to".

What does this mean in terms of design? I have two suggestions at the
moment:

- understand the need for a window list of some kind to let you
visualize and switch between your current tasks effortlessly, like you
already can in almost all current graphical desktops. Having them along
the top or bottom edge has the benefit of making them easier to hit, as
they would have "infinite height" and you wouldn't miss them by moving
the cursor too far up or down.

- restrict the list of windows shown by Alt-Tab to those in the current
activity/workspace. The current implementation groups the windows by
application, something that is not done in any other place of the Shell
and breaks the activities-tasks hierarchy.

Happy new year!

Felipe