RE: interapplication communication

> > One thing I will say though - Owen, you say you're dead set against
> > having a static list of the existing windows
>
> I did not say that. I said:
>
> - Adding a task list to the current design does not make sense
> *in isolation*.
>
> - We want to do user testing with the current design (including the
> message tray) and are unlikely to make any big changes without
> reference to that.

What do you mean by the caveat "in isolation"? Also when/where/how is this user testing I keep seeing mentioned?

> > but I for one need a visual reminder of what windows I've got open
> > for the current activity - it helps focus my mind on what I'm doing,
> > what information I have available to me, what I need to do next, etc.
>
> One of our big problems with the task list going in was that we didn't
> feel it did that; window titles get abbreviated beyond
> comprehensibility, titles for tabbed windows aren't meaningful, it
> doesn't scale beyond 5-6 windows, and so forth. These are some of the
> reasons that Windows 7 moved from a window list to an application list,
> and are things that we are trying to address with the overview.

But the main problem with the overview as opposed to Windows 7 or OS X is that it requires user interaction.
By default, without user interaction, a person can see what programs are running in Windows 7, OS X, GNOME 2.X, KDE, etc
This is currently not the case with GNOME Shell.  Also no matter what sort of changes are done to the overlay the point is that it needs to be activated in the first place.

I do find it interesting you mention "window titles get  abbreviated beyond comprehensibility..." and yet in the applications menu of the overlay there are STILL truncated applications names (which also obscure the blue dots)