Re: Buttons in Lucid Lynx

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall gmail com> wrote:
There was one thing maybe a bit interesting that they changed. I'm not
actually sure if it's upstream (sorry, no time to check!), but window
button order is saved on a per-theme basis. So, their new Ambience
theme gets buttons on the left, choosing another theme switches them
to the right. It seems quite sensible.
Id say if it wasnt upstream it will be pushed there soon.
If that _is_ upstream (or finding its way there), I recommend
gnome-shell takes some initiative to accommodate different button
orders. For example, if the close button is drawn on the left, the
window close button in the overview mode should be on the left.
As for the Activities button, though, I think moving it would be a bit
drastic; having it on the right sounds pretty unnatural. If that
happens, we may as well flip the entire interface. Learn a
right-to-left language like Hebrew :b
I wouldnt think flipping the interface would be good but thats just my opinion. I think we'll have to wait and see what the designers think of. I think embedding the close button in the top panel when the window is maximised would be a better idea that having everything jammed in the left coner.

-fagan

Dylan

PS: The visual similarities are probably a common phenomenon: if you
get enough Mac people doing your design, the result will inevitably
borrow queues from MacOS X. Good? Bad? Not really sure. The button
position has ended up making sense to me somehow…