Re: Proposal: Use Ubuntu's MeMenu and Session Menu in the top panel

And yet, OS X still manages to be both a successful end-user and developer-friendly desktop without allowing users to change any of those things :)

But that is nowhere near where the Free Software project Gnome wants to go.
The followers, the community if you can call it that, of this corporate moneymachine are very exclusive and are often quick to reject anyone to want to go their own way.

Browsing an Apple-forum, I believe it was mac-forums.com, to find out whether or not the Dvorak keyboard layout was supported on the iPhone I was stunned by the hatred thrown at the poor original poster who had asked if there was. For the simple reason that he did not fallow the in my opinion odd norm of using QWERTY he was thrown into flames. The followers were not helping this possible buyer of Apple hard and software but rather the opposite.

I hope that this sort of community is something that the Gnome project actively seeks not to achieve. A good and healthy community is an inclusive community that allows everyone to take part, no matter from where you are, who you are, and what your needs are. This is true to most open source communities and amongst them the community around Gnome.

And if it is to stay that way we cannot take the path that Apple is taking, creating a fellowship of zealous fanatics, pardon my colourful descriptions, believing that there is only one way and that is the way of the great Apple. And so we cannot create software that exclude but include. We must be the platform of freedom.

@OP Apoorva If I'm not mistaken these designs are already covered partially in the top right menu.
--
www.twitter.com/Rovanion