on Gentoo and desktops

I've installed gnome-shell on my unstable Gentoo x86_64 system with
good results. I have a Core i7 920 with 6G ram and a Nvidia 9600 GT
video card. The shell performs fairly well, but is noticeably slower
than the normal metacity WM. Overall I like it, but it still has a
ways to go. I can't wait for configuration options to be added. The
one thing I miss from the traditional Gnome desktop is the Workspace
Switcher app. There really needs to be a visible indication of all
open windows, that is visible all the time. This could be in the top
panel, or in the sidebar, but it really is needed.

Tim