Re: drive-by request - keyboard accessibility of top-panel status icons

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 23:17 -0500, Jud Craft wrote:
> It would be lovely if GNOME Shell keyboard support included being able
> to navigate the top panel's status icons entirely using the arrow
> keys.  Very similar to how OS X allows you to navigate its status icon
> bar (volume, brightness, etc) - like a series of menus.

+1; when I broke my mouse, and spent about two months with only the
keyboard because I was lazy, the only part of the screen I could only
get to by using the "mouse keys" was this. I remember reading something
about the current notification area gaining some support for this,
though.

> I am aware this has some implementation gotchas to watch out for.
> Some icons do not have a left-click menu (GNOME Do, Rhythmbox); some
> have identical left and right-click menus (display status icon).  So
> if this is impractical I understand.

Since these interactions are being redesigned, GNOME Do, and Rhythmbox
icons are probably going to be moved elsewhere, and the display one will
probably be redesigned to fit the new ideas, I am hoping there are no
unsolvable gotchas, as long as all this is considered when designing
what is expected from the apps =).

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns gnome org>