"Places" menu in gnome-shell?

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I've had a hunt
through the wiki and the archives and couldn't find anything.  What
are the current plans for implementing the places menu within
gnome-shell (and I guess the system menu too)?

I guess the System menu can fit in under the main Actions menu (you
can easily have it as one of the categories that appears after
clicking More), but places would seem to be used a lot more,
especially with USB sticks, cameras, etc.

The Actions -> Workspace -> Program idea works so well I can't think
of any way to add it on the left, so could it be added as a default
panel item on the right?

I can see a drop down places menu working well, I'm just not sure how
well it will fit in unless it has just an icon, but if it's just an
icon I don't know how discoverable it will be for the average user.
But then I guess there's always the question of how often does the
average user actually use it?

Ross